I am available to freelance for your newsroom, nonprofit, or personal project.
Reporting and writing
- Regional reporting, both analysis and breaking news, in Montana, Oregon, Wyoming, Washington, Florida and other locations upon request.
- Trend stories or news features about the rural West, state government, campaign finance, education, housing rights, the Indian Health Service and tribal health programs, or the intersection of criminal justice and public health policies, such as addiction and mental health.
- Travel writing and business profiles.
- Creation of business materials, including newsletters, brochures, posters, direct mail, social media copy, employee bios and web content
Copy editing and proofreading
- News and feature articles
- Marketing or public relations materials
- Compile or summarize news clips, academic research, social media histories, website histories, historic aerial images, public records (court, property, tax, legislative, campaign finance, etc.), archival and historical documents, and other sources
Data analysis and visualization
- Finding, cleaning and making sense of publicly available data sets
- Building databases from paper records, freeing them for study
- Geographic analysis and mapping
- Charts, static for print or interactive for online presentation
Design and typesetting
- Print layout and design for newspapers, books, e-books, magazines, brochures and posters
- Promotional materials for social media, including images, memes, audio, video and light animation
- Logo and brand creation, including style guides
- Digital tools for web sleuthing, breaking news reporting and finding data to tell new stories on common beats, such as education, crime, business and the environment.
- Narrative writing and multimedia storytelling strategies
- Data analysis or visualization, such as using coding-free tools for simple charts, interviewing spreadsheets in Excel, or making basic maps with Google.
- FOIA strategies and techniques: How to identify and free public records.
- Making the most of your phone with apps for recording, reporting, scanning, converting and capturing.
- Volunteer speaker or trainer for middle school and high school audiences, including journalism and yearbook classes.